Come join my adventures!

Monday, February 25, 2013

I Tried!

Are you a gardener?  I thought maybe I'd try to be one.  Not so sure I'm cut out for it!

Two girl friends of mine helped me just after Christmas clear an area of grass and plant some beans and onions.  I was so happy to see the shoots of green beans coming up a few days later.

With the beginning of my garden I was excited a week later to finally add some cucumbers, squash, peppers, and watermelon.  I was still hopeful for my little garden. Around this time of planting the other vegetables, my onions still had not emerged. 

And then the heavy rains came.  Water is good for a garden, usually.  Too much though creates some major issues.

A month later at the end of January my beans were turning yellow, I had maybe four cucumber plants sprouted and still alive, and a lot of grass! 

Now it is almost March and I have two cucumber plants still alive.  The rest is grass that I even had boys come and slash.  I maybe should have weeded before I called it a loss.  However, botany isn't really a strength for me and I was afraid to pull the rare plant that DID make it! Slashing really isn't any better, though!

Maybe I'll develop my gardening passion and skills over time.  For now I might just count this first little garden a successful failure. 

In the meantime, I have just realized the wonderful resource that vegetables, fruits, trees, and flowers provide for us.  Never before have I cut open a tomato or pepper and thought, "Hmm, should I take these seeds and plant them?"  Or looked at a tree and decided I needed to wait for the seeds to dry and try planting them as well.  Its quite exciting to find new life in so many things that we see every day!

I am at this moment carrying lemon, tomato, red pepper, and a pretty flower's seeds home.  I am going to have another go at this gardening business!  I really do hope I reap a few vegetables in a couple months!  I'll keep y'all updated!  Any tips you may have?? I am most open to any suggestions or help that anyone may find useful to share! 

And here are two photos of the plot that I originally planted for my garden.  
Yeah...its all grass now!