Come join my adventures!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Ocean

I grew up near streams, ponds, lakes, and rivers.  I learned about oceans in school, but I never really knew about the ocean.

Currently, I live on an island.  This island is bordered all around by the Atlantic Ocean.  If I want to get to the city of Boston, I must take a boat.  If I want to buy food or other supplies, I also must take a boat.  If you miss the boat, you don't get to leave the island until the next boat. 

Its a funny thing, this being surrounded by the ocean. 

Oh, and oceans have tides.  High tide.  Low tide.  Before now, I never thought of tides, but they can be so crucial to know about depending on where you live or what kind of work you do.  Here on the atlantic, tides come in and out about every six hours. However, the really crazy thing about tides is that they don't actually happen the same time everyday.  Yesterday high tide was around 11:00 AM and low tide was approxiametly 5:45 PM.  Today?  High tide: 12:15 PM  Low tide: 6:30 PM   

The wonderful things one can learn!  And about the ocean no less!