Come join my adventures!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Beginning is Near

In just over two weeks I will become an official Peace Corps Volunteer.  After swearing in, I will head back to Southern Province and ready myself to begin my service. 

When I am prepared with all my supplies and goods to begin my two years at a new home, I will make my way to Chikankata district.  I will be moving into my own clay brick house with a grass thatched roof and outside shower and toilet. 

I will become part of the village there and integrate myself into the community.  I will continue to learn and speak Tonga and begin to teach those who are interested in learning about fish farming, sustainable agriculture, HIV/AIDS and other topics.  In addition, every day I am sure I will be taught many things from the villagers as well.

I have visited my site and am very excited about the beautiful rolling hills for scenery.  I can only imagine how green and lush everything will become once rainy season starts.  Also, the community members seem to be very motivated and excited to start working together.

The upcoming weeks will surely pass quickly and I will soon find myself in my own house beginning my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer.  Here I Go!