Come join my adventures!

Thursday, October 11, 2012

If Only I Could Eat Cheese All Day!

I love cows.  I love milk.  I love yogurt.  And, I SO love cheese!

I’m from a dairy farm in Wisconsin; of course I love these things!

But, I am currently in Zambia.  Not Wisconsin.

Zambia has cows.  There is milk here.  And they do make cheese, too.  However, not all dairy cows are used for milk production.  Also, cheese making is not a priority, nor has it been totally mastered throughout the country.  In addition, here in Tonga-land, they like to drink mabisi.

What is mabisi, you ask?  Sour.  Sour milk!

In the village, mabisi is simply made by setting a jug of fresh milk out in the direct sun all day.  Once it has begun to ferment and coagulate and get that awesome sour smell, it is ready to be consumed.

Here in Southern Province, Tongas like to simply drink sour.  Also, they will make a dish that can be eaten sweet or not, for breakfast or dessert.  After boiling whole kernels of maize, mabisi is poured over the top of these shell-less kernels and sugar is sometimes added.  This can be called Sample.

I have not yet ventured to try sour.  I am quite sure I will not be totally enthralled with the taste!  Maybe some day!

Because refrigeration is not available to everyone in Zambia, milk and meat products are not able to be preserved in the same way as other countries.  Meats are dried or smoked in order to keep them for longer periods of time.  Dried fish is a staple meat or only form of meat consumed for many families.

As stated before, milk is usually consumed in a fermented or cultured state.  As for cheese, if available, it is not refrigerated.  In the village, it is just kept on the counter or shelf like other shelf-safe items.  It still tastes just fine a week later!

While here in Zambia, I hope to make cheese and yogurt myself.  I also hope to help farmers who own cattle to improve upon the productivity of their animals.

Many Tonga families who own animals look upon their livestock as a bank.  Instead of cashing in their cattle and taking money to town to put in an account, the animals remain.  The more cows a family has, the more ‘wealthy’ the family may be.  Also, because the animals are viewed as a bank, they are not utilized to their full potential.  This concept is sometimes difficult for me to understand, but I am certainly learning everyday about the culture here.

When I do have the chance to enjoy some cold milk, fresh cheese, or drinkable yogurt, I fully treasure the rare opportunity.  It is a treat, to say the least, for me!