Come join my adventures!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rain

Yesterday I experienced my first Tropical Storm. Not only did I stay in my apartment and watch it, I experienced it first hand out on the road driving.

Hermine showed up out of nowhere if you ask me. We've had three weeks with barely more than ten sprinkles and all of a sudden I wake up and its pouring rain outside. And it doesn't want to stop!

I really didn't think anything of it, its just rain, right? So I headed out to give plasma. The way to plasma was not too bad. However, just as I am finishing up with my last drawing cycles the wind picks up and it looks real wet out. Unfortunately I really didn't think it was going to let up anytime soon, so I dashed out to my car in the rain mess. Twenty feet later and safely in my car, I was soaked!

Back out on the interstate. And now its getting bad out. I am finally understanding why Texans don't like to drive in the rain. The rain here, especially storms, is like snow to us in the north. We were driving about 30 to 40 mph on the interstate. Visibility was about 20 to 30 feet. You'd be driving along and then you were driving through a huge puddle on the road. For some reason the water here has nowhere to go. It can rain for 3 minutes and you'll find yourself hydroplaning already.

Besides the rain and the flooding and the slow speeds, there are actually people driving WITHOUT their LIGHTS ON! I couldn't believe it. Also, there were so many vehicles that had one light out or a brake light that didn't work. It wasn't just one car either; it was one every ten cars that had a problem with their lights. Also, some people would have caution lights on, others weren't staying in their lane...and at this very moment at 7:55 am someone has set off a car alarm in the parking lot. Anyways, these are just a few reasons why I believe Texans are not the best out on the road.

I eventually made it back home safely and stayed in the dry comfort of the apartment for most of the rest of the day. I was able to watch the trees blowing back and forth, the wind splashing loads of water against the windows, the rain flow continually over the ground with nowhere to go, and had the lights flicker on me and the power go out momentarily. I did get some cleaning done as well as other tasks done in the kitchen, so overall it was a productive day.

The next time though that a tropical storm comes through San Antonio, I think I will stay in unless I need to go out! And when I say need, I mean if I have to work! Stay safe and dry!