Come join my adventures!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Problem Solving Baking

I usually consider myself a great baker.  I feel very confident in the kitchen and would say that I can bake or cook just about anything.

Last night I made pumkin bars.  I have been thinking about them for a couple weeks and just couldn't wait any longer!  I didn't actually have the right size of pan, so I improvised and used one 9 x 13 in pan and made some mini muffins with the rest of the batter.  So, in goes my rectangular baker with the first round of pumpkin goodness.

Now, I would almost say I can expertly tell when something is ready to be taken out of the oven.  So, when I was satisfied with my bars, I took them from the oven and put the mini muffins in.  The muffins were super quick and were out in no time.  In the meantime, I hand mixed up some delicious cream cheese frosting and decided to frost the bars.  Then I cut into the bars...they were TOTALLY not done in the middle.  The center of the pan almost resembled badly set up pumpkin pie. 

Needless to say, I was so horrified and disappointed in myself.  I couldn't believe I had failed.  There was no way that I wanted to throw out an entire pan of bars, but I also knew no one was going to be able to really eat 95% of the pan.  So, I put the bars, icing and everything, back into the oven. 

I have to say that I was not expecting rave results.  However, I eventually brought the bars back out of the oven and they were nearly perfect!  I am happy to say that although my usually no fail baking did require some troubleshooting, I ended the evening with tasty pumpkin bars that I am proud to say that I made.  Who knew you could re-bake bars that had already been iced!