Come join my adventures!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Its Real

Over a year ago I submitted my application to become a Peace Corps Volunteer.  I finished pages of paperwork.  I traveled to Chicago for an interview.  I received many calls and emails regarding my nomination and finally was nominated.  There were trips to the dentist and doctor to complete my health and dental work, as well as extra vaccines here and there.

I was confirmed to have health and dental clearance.  I waited a bit longer.  Soon it was more paperwork.  And more waiting. 

Finally, I accepted my invitation to go to Zambia.  I filled out my visa information.  I sent more paperwork to my service country desk.  I waited some more. 

And now - this Peace Corps idea that began last April is truly coming real. 

Yesterday, I received my staging (pre-departure orientation) information.  I will officially be getting on a plane on July 16th to fly to Philadelphia, PA.  Then, on July 18th, I will board a bus to go to New York at 2:30 am.  In New York, I will get on that long-awaited plane that will take me to South Africa, and eventually to Zambia. 

It is so real now, it is quite scary!  I am so pumped for this adventure to begin.  I can't wait.  But...Wow!  It is a mix of emotions when things really start happening! 

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement and support.  I wouldn't be able to do half the things I've done without you all!  Thank you.