Come join my adventures!

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Opportunities

When you go to college, you are expected to take part in organizations, clubs, and other special interest groups in order to meet new people, learn new things, and broaden your horizons. The last two years, I did not specifically really do that. In Montana it was really hard to get involved, and Europe was just such a huge playground to go run around in. Finally, I am settling in here at K-State in Manhattan, KS and really getting involved and taking many opportunities.

For anyone interested in the dairy industry in ANY way, Dairy Challenge is one of the best ways to learn more about managing a successful dairy operation. With three other girls, all from small dairy farms, we learned all the ins and outs of a dairy operation and how to find the strengths and weaknesses in the reproduction, milking procedures, nutrition, facilities, financials, etc. of an operation. Through two competitions, one in Minnesota and another in New York, we learned SO much. Although we were only awarded a Silver rating at the National contest, the experience we had taking part in this amazing opportunity was reward enough.

All the dairy professionals and producers were amazing and so much work and support goes into Dairy Challenge. Its simply amazing and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity!

Another simple opportunity I am involved in that is sending me to Atlanta, GA next week is NAMA, National Agriculture Marketing Association. This is a group where we come up with a new product and put together the business plan and head to the National contest to present our idea.

These are just two of the many opportunities that I am involving myself in here at K-State. I feel so blessed to be part of such wonderful groups and to be here at this great agriculture institution. Everything that I have and do are true Blessings.