Come join my adventures!

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Long Road Trip

It’s 7:45 am, Wednesday, the 18th of August, 2010, and I am heading out of the driveway on a solo, three day road trip to the southern part of Texas.

Only forty-five minutes away, I meet up with a good friend for breakfast. After getting our fill at Perkins and catching up some more, I head out again. Next stop, Manhattan, KS.

It truly surprises me how much you can get done in a short period of time when you know your time in precious. I got into Manhattan just before 7:00 pm and it felt like a rat race getting around to see everyone before the night ended. I was able to see most everyone I wanted to catch up with and ended the night at my dear friend, Kristy’s.

Thursday began again with a breakfast date with my “Kansas Family.” It was eggs and muffins before I visited the great Meat Lab and Weber Hall on campus. John and the other peeps of the Meat Lab were busy slaughtering lambs. I was a little jealous that I wouldn’t be helping again this year. But, it was soon back on the road.

Lunchtime found me at the cutest small town café in Durham, KS. Friend, Katelin, and I enjoyed a tasty meal and chatting. Extremely full from a Monterey (essentially a flat taco) and peanut butter pie, I was back driving, heading to I-35 South.

It wasn’t too much longer before I reached my destination of the evening, Nocona, TX. My newly wedded friends from Montana just moved down to Texas in June and it was a perfect place to stop for the evening. We caught up, had some supper, and called it a night. I was super exhausted from driving.

Friday. Woke up and headed out with Chrisley to check out the ranch she and her husband were living at. It was so neat to see cutting horses being worked with and trained. Horses truly are extraordinary animals and so very smart.

By 10:00 am I was finally on the last leg of my trip. It was a pretty quick drive of 6 hours, but the traffic in Texas is incredible. There may be a lot of room for the cars, but there are still so many people that the lanes of the highways fill up fast no matter what time of day it is.

Finally, around 4:00 pm I arrived at Brooke's and my apartment! It was so amazing to be greeted by Brooke and see her again! I was so happy to have made it here safely and to be done driving for a while!

I have so much more to share and will hopefully relay everything to everyone in the next week! I am happy to have made it here to Texas and am sure learning lots!